Sunday, January 8, 2012

Happy Birthday for Friday Mashup

This is my first time participating in the Friday Mashup challenge. The theme is birthday and/or to work with pastels, so I decided to use a technique that I presented at a Stampin' UP! regional which involves using pastels to create a custom background. For this particular card, I used Red Riding Hood and Pacific Point pastels to create the background, then I clear embossed the "happy birthday" with the cupcakes on top, and I fixed the pastel onto the cardstock with regular hair spray. If you don't spray any fixative, the pastels don't get adhered to the cardstock.
I didn't add much to the card because I didn't want it to detract from the background.

If you want the tutorial on how to create the background, which was inspired by a technique from Gina K., you can click here!
Have a great day!
Lili


Cardstock: Riding Hood Red (111348), Very Vanilla (101650), Pacific Point (111350)
Stamp sets: Perfectly Penned (122890), Crazy for Cupcakes (111618), Easy Events (W 116958, C 123225)
Ribbon: Marina Mist 1/8" Taffeta (119257)
Embellishments: Dazzling Details (124117)

8 comments:

  1. Love your design Lili! the background is really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lili this is so pretty, love the checkered background you've created.

    Thanks for sharing your lovely card in our challenge.

    Cheers,
    Kasey ~ in Oz
    Friday Mashup DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously love how you created the background! Lots of interest without being overwhelming. Wonderful card all around! I am so glad you found us at the Friday Mashup...come again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, fun background! And I love the shape of the sentiment! Thanks for joining us at the Friday Mashup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the Friday Mashup Lili.. It's always great to see new faces. I love that background technique, thanks for sharing that with us. I really like the balloons you added. Thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this is awesome...;luv the design...hope you have a wonderful week!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great background, I love it! The balloons and the sentiment are the perfect tough against such a striking background!

    Thanks for joining us at The Friday Mashup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool background! Such a new technique. Thanks for joining us at The Friday Mashup!

    ReplyDelete